- Maths and English GCSE Grade C or above (plus Science for Primary).
- A UK degree (minimum 2:1 although a 2:2 may be considered in some subject areas) or equivalent qualification.
- At least 3 years work experience (in any sector)
- *For salaried route only* . At least 1 terms school experience in the phase you wish to teach
- *For salaried route only* . Able to demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly and accurately in spoken and written standard English. QTS Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy.
Months of entry
The School Direct route into teaching is a great way to gain the qualifications and practical skills you need to become a teacher. It allows those who have just finished a degree, or have been working in a career for many years to combine teacher training with actually doing and learning on the job.
School Direct is a way of training teachers that puts schools at the heart of the process. With School Direct, schools can request training places directly; select the accredited provider of teacher training with whom they want to work; agree the content and focus of the training programme depending on their needs and negotiate directly with the provider about how the money for training should be divided. Most importantly schools can work in partnership with providers to choose and recruit the candidate they want.
We are working witha number of schools in order to deliver the School Direct Programme. We will be offering both salaried and tuition fee routes. We are able to support the following subjects (* signifies a salaried route is available):
- Computer Science *
- Design and Technology
- Modern Languages
- Physical Education
The School Direct (salaried) programme is open to graduates with three or more years’ career experience. Trainees receieve an unqualified reachers salary and do not pay tuition fees.
The School Direct Training programme is available to all other graduates and offers tax-free bursaries of up to £30,000 for candidates with top degrees in priority subjects. Candidates pay a tuition fee.
Fees and funding
Salaried Places: Trainees will receive a salary at the rate for an unqualified teacher – £15,817.
Non salaried places: Trainees will be required to pay a tuition fee of £9,000. Trainees may be eligible for the training bursaries from the NCTL.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Sarah Hughes
- 0121 212 4567
- 0121 233 3383