- A good 2:1 pass in a BMus (Hons) programme; or
- An equivalent qualification such as a Performer's Diploma (LTCL, LRAM, LRSM, ARCM etc.).
- Other equivalent qualifications and/or relevant prior experience may be considered
Months of entry
Explore and enhance your creative and entrepreneurial skills as a performer and/or composer through a range of practical and research modules.
The MA programme is designed for students wishing to be professional musicians: performers and composers. It aims to equip you with the necessary skills, insight and experience required to succeed in the contemporary music profession. There is a focus on the Western Classical and Jazz traditions; the Composition, Ensemble, Jazz, Performance and Performer-Composer pathways each offer discrete comprehensive specialist training.
- Provide advanced musical training at postgraduate level which encourages the demonstration of individual musical talent and scholarship, underpinned by articulate, informed and sophisticated critical self-reflection, at a highly professional standard.
- Enable musicians of proven ability, and with the potential for further training, to advance and refine their skills and specialism/s and deepen their professional expertise through focused activity in those areas.
- Acknowledge the significance of musical context, highlighting the relationship of music to wider artistic, historical, philosophical, cultural and/or social practices, issues and/or phenomena.
- Cultivate musicians who have the ability to work in a variety of complex musical groupings and multi-disciplinary environments, and to exercise initiative, personal responsibility, and leadership in professional practice.
- Create an environment which encourages risk and nurtures creativity and innovation, reflecting, wherever applicable, cutting-edge thinking within the profession, and taking advantage, where appropriate, of advances in digital and other technologies.
- Produce enterprising, entrepreneurial musicians equipped both for existing and developing high-level employment opportunities as performers/ composers/educators in today’s diverse, internationalised and ever-changing music profession.
Fees and funding
Read about financial awards and external funding opportunities in the Fees and Finance section.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details