To be eligible to apply all applicants should normally:
- Provide evidence of competence in written and spoken English and Maths (GCSE grade C or equivalent). See DEL circular FE12/09 Annex A;
- have completed the Certificate in Teaching (CIT) from the University of Ulster or have successfully completed the Diploma in the Teaching and Management of Adult Literacy or Numeracy from Queens University Belfast.
You must submit your Diploma to claim this exemption. Please note that it is only the Diploma and not the Certificate which can be used to progress straight to the PGCE (FE) programme.
- meet the general education requirements and experience requirements as outlined in Annex A DEL Circular FE12/09 issued November 2009. http://www.delni.gov.uk/furthereducation )
- be currently in paid employment as a full or part time teacher in an FE College or the work based learning sector for at least 8 hours per week over one full academic year (Oct – May) with full teaching responsibility for a group of at least 6-8 learners. You will need a statement from your employer stating that you meet this criterion. Unfortunately one-to-one teaching is not acceptable.
Months of entry
This course is a follow-on programme for those who have successfully completed the Certificate in Teaching. For acceptance onto the course students must meet the entry requirements as set out and must liaise with their employer in order to provide evidence that they are employed in an FE College or in the work based learning sector. The course is offered on both the Jordanstown and Magee campuses.
Information for international students
English language requirements for international applicants
The minimum requirement for this course is Academic IELTS 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5. Trinity ISE: Pass at level III also meets this requirement for Tier 4 visa purposes.
Ulster recognises a number of other English language tests and comparable IELTS equivalent scores.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dr Tracy Irwin
- +44 (0)28 9036 6606