View entry requirements for this programme
Months of entry
Major diet related health issues continue to provide much publicity in the UK and overseas in terms of fundamental issues in the way we develop food to eat and the subsequent issues of how food affects our health. There is always a healthy debate and a continuous pursuit for the 'Healthy Diet.' . Nutrition specialists can make a difference to an individual and groups of society by improving the understanding of our relationship with diet and health. Often diet can be a root cause and effect. This programme has been developed by the Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health at University of Aberdeen to address a growing need for specialists within this vital part of health care and treatment.
You study the relationships between diet and disease and nutritional mechanisms of disease prevention. You can study several areas before you specialise with a unique module in molecular nutrition being offered at Aberdeen. The programme is run in collaboration with the famous Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, one of the oldest institutes in Europe the Rowett informs policy and provides ground breaking research in health and diet areas.
Courses include: Fondations of Nutrition, Applied Statistics, Nutrition and Health, Generic Skills, Research Methods and Professional Practice, Assessment of Nutritional Status, Research Project Management, Clinical Nutrition, Public Health Nutrition, Molecular Nutrition and a specialist research project.
Industry Links and Careers
The Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health is highly regarded by industry to provide consultancy work including ground breaking research in the development of partitiion chromatography, identification of metallothionein protein and establishment of the Food Standard's Agency and Scottish Diet Action Plan. There are a great many careers you can go into after studying this programme. The more obvious areas are within the healthcare providers as a Nutritionist, Public Health Policy Manager, Fitness and Nutrition Counsellor, but there are a growing number of people working as private consultants in this area with further niche and specialist support to offer to individuals.
- View all course modules
- The Rowett Institute is one of the oldest Institutes specialising in health and nutrition in Europe. It has gained an impressive range of consultancy work and research projects, often working with major health or food providers, and it provides expertise when required within the Nutrition area on the UK media. Notable Emeritus Professors include Professor Hugh Pennington and expert in food safety, and Lord Boyd Orr, a former Director who won a Nobel Prize for his contribution to the fight against hunger.
- There are only 3 MSc accredited programmes by the Association of Nutrition and this is one of those programmes. You have access to the Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, co-ordinated by the Medical School, ranked 7th in the UK (Guardian League Tables 2016)
- Start Date – September
- Delivery – Campus
- Study Options – Full Time, Part Time
- View English language requirements from the programme page
- View entry requirements from the programme page
- Campus Open Days
- Virtual Open Days
See Our Facilities
Information for international students
- View international support and events near you
- English Language for your programme
- See Accommodation, facilities, city and societies
- View our online learning
Sign up for an open day, visit or chat online
Fees and funding
- More information about tuition fees and payment plans.
- University of Aberdeen Funding Database
- Alumni discount for postgraduate degrees
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Secretary
- +44 (0)1224 437096