View entry requirements for this programme
Months of entry
For any lover of all things Scandinavian - a one-year taught MLitt (or two years part-time) in Scandinavian Studies. The programme will appeal to anyone interested in the history, language and culture of the Scandinavian-speaking peoples and field of research. You get thematic courses, specialist supervision for a dissertation of your own choice, training on research theories and methodology, language and literary courses and interdisciplinary insight to this field of research.
Courses include: Old Norse Language Literature and Culture. Two from: Palaeology, Scandinavian Language, Latin, Business for Arts, or:- One from: Special Subject, Viking Archaeology, Medieval Gaelic Language
Find out more about special projects and centre projects from the programme page
- View all course modules
Why Study at Aberdeen?
- Due to its location Aberdeen now has one of the largest concetrations of Scandinavian experts in the UK and hosts the Centre for Scandinavian Studies. There are a wealth of programmes which touch Scandinavian influences in the region including Anthropology, Archaeology, Languages, and Culture at the University all taught by respective experts in their field. Experts teach you across these areas to build a comprehensive study of Scandinavia and you join the dots about Scandinavian influence in the UK ever after.
- Apart from extensive collections and readings on site you might like to discover influences in Aberdeenshire and the Highlands or take the ferry from the city centre to Orkney and world heritage sites of Ring of Brodgar, Maeshowe, Skara Brae which many international tourists flock to. Norse expressions are still spoken today on Orkney and some Dales of mainland UK. You can also take the ferry to Shetland and discover longouses, boat festivals, fire festivals like Uphelia and traditions still kep up today.
- Start Date – September
- Delivery – Campus
- Study Options – Full Time, Part Time
- View English language requirements from the programme page
- View entry requirements from the programme page
- Campus Open Days
- Virtual Open Days
See Our Facilities
Find out more about courses
Information for international students
- View international support and events near you
- English Language for your programme
- See accommodation, facilities, city and societies
- View our online learning
Sign up for an open day, visit or chat online
Fees and funding
- More information about tuition fees and payment plans.
- University of Aberdeen Funding Database
- Alumni discount for postgraduate degrees
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School Administrator
- +44 (0)1224 272890