- 2:1 (upper second class) UK Honours degree, or an Honours degree from a non-UK institution which is judged by the University to be of equivalent worth in any branch of Engineering, Mathematics or Physics.
- Those with a 2:2 Honours degree in Engineering may also be considered if they can demonstrate 2+ years of relevant Oil & Gas Industry experience.
- Key subjects you must have covered: Mathematics and Mechanical subjects such as stress analysis, strength of materials and thermodynamics.
Months of entry
Many health and safety learnings and innovations have come from the oil and gas industry. As well as methods employed to keep everything safe, reliable and working in the harshest environments on earth. This long history of research, teaching and learning continues to provide a highly relevant up to date professional level of advanced knowledge in Safety and Reliability Engineering in new project areas globally, new geographic locations and unexplored territories in pursuit of an essential component to many products, transport and an incredible amount of components in our daily life.
The programme covers safety and reliability and legal frameworks to assess industrial risk to environment. The skills are equally applicable to other industries such as Offshore, Nuclear, Transport, Marine, Aerospace, Process and Chemical Industries associated with oil and gas. The programme is delivered on campus and online to support global industry located around the world from a renowned University in the heart of the industry.
Courses on campus include: Fundamental Safety Engineering and Risk Management Concepts, Statistics and Probablity for Safety Reliability and Quality, Fire Explosion Engineering, Offshore Structures and Subsea Systems, Advanced Methods for Risk and Reliability Assessment, Applied Risk Analysis and Management, Process Design Layout and Materials, Human Factors Engineering, and your Individual Project
Courses online include: Fundamental Safety Engineering and Risk Management Concepts, Statistics and Probability for Safety Reliability and Quality, Advanced Methods for Risk and Reliability Assessment, Applied Risk Analysis and Management, Fire and Explosion Engineering, Process Design Layout and Materials, Human Factors Engineering, Offshore Oil and Gas Production Systems and your Individual Project
Why Study at Aberdeen?
- You can study either on campus or online and complete your degree in either 24 months or 27 months or up to six years and pay per module for online.
- The programme is well connected to an Advisory Board in the heart of the industry in Aberdeen City comprising of professionals in the industry and collaborations with the best known brands in the industry spanning over 40 years. The programme is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), the Energy Institute (EI) and the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST). Lloyds Register Foundation Centre for Safety and Reliability Engineering has recognised the programme as delivering world class teaching in safety and reliability engineering.
See Our Facilities
Information for international students
- View international support and events near you
- Find out about English Language requirements
- See Accommodation, facilities, city and societies
Sign up for an open day or visit.
Fees and funding
- University of Aberdeen Funding Database.
- More information about tuition fees and payment plans.
- Alumni discount
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Team
- +44(0)1224 272515