View entry requirements for this programme
Months of entry
Human Rights are an essential area of law, with many countries now ensuring that their legal systems embody a full respect for citizens’ human rights. There has been a growth of international protocols, leading to the establishment of the International Criminal Court, those securing the rights of minority populations and indigenous groups, and the creation of international conventions designed to tackle Human Trafficking.
The LLM Programme in Human Rights reflects established areas of research strength in the School of Law, and offers you many options which are of international relevance and which meet the demand for studying contemporary human rights issues at an advanced level. This programme allows you to combine specialist topics of domestic and universal fundamental rights.
Courses include: Critical Legal Thinking and Scholarship, Oil and Minerals for Good, The Politics of Human Rights, International Law- a Time of Challenges, International Human Rights Law, International Humanitarian Law, The Use of Force in International Law, and your Dissertation.
- View all course modules
Industry Links and Careers
The Law School is connected to many large law firms and there are opportunities at undergraduate level to join one of the many projects which supports the local community and projects further afield in addressing legal issues facing individuals. You are also encouraged to attend seminars and conferences relevant to your studies whilst you are here. Careers can include the more obvious legal careers but you can also work in areas such as international relations at government or organisational level, or work for NGOs and other organisations supporting human rights.
Why Study at Aberdeen?
- The Law School is ranked 10th in the UK out of more than 90 Schools (The Complete University Guide 2018) and you are taught by people such as Programme Director Dr Mátyás Bódig, founder member of the Centre for Citizenship, Civil Society and Rule of Law.
- 98% of graduates felt that the LLM had added value to their career prospects and 97% would recommend their course to others (Exit Poll 2016)
- Start Date – September, January
- Delivery – Campus
- Study Options – Full Time, Part Time
- View English language requirements from the programme page
- View entry requirements from the programme page
- Campus Open Days
- Virtual Open Days
See Our Facilities
Information for international students
- View international support and events near you
- English Language for your programme
- See Accommodation, facilities, city and societies
- View our online learning
Sign up for an open day, visit or chat online
Fees and funding
- More information about tuition fees and payment plans.
- University of Aberdeen Funding Database
- Alumni discount for postgraduate degrees
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School Administrator
- +44 (0)1224 274260