View entry requirements for this programme
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
Social Research is a very useful degree for careers in charities, research organisations, international organisations, fundraising, research and teaching, but it is also now used in researching how people use systems and products and machines to better design them for people.
The MRes in Social Research is a one-year research degree to apply social research to public, private and third sector work and policy contexts. The MRes is recognised under the Economic & Social Research Council’s Scottish Doctoral Training Program, Sociology Pathway. The Diploma in Social Research, comprising of the four taught courses, also offers an intensive training which is recognised under the Scottish Government’s Postgraduate Awards Scheme (PSAS).
Courses include: Qualitative Sociology: Philosophy and Methods, Advanced Social Theory, Quantitative Sociology: Philosophy and Methods, Approaches to Quantitative Analysis in Social Research and your dissertation
- View all course modules
Why Study at Aberdeen?
- You study in a world class library with computer facilities and reading rooms, stunning campus from the Middle Ages to the current day and you get taught courses plus research. You can attend any seminars and lectures on campus which give you further insight into research.
- The qualification is recognised by the Scottish Government's Postgraduate Awards Scheme
- Start Date – Any Month
- Delivery – Campus
- Study Options – Full Time, Part Time
- View English language requirements from the programme page
- View entry requirements from the programme page
- Campus Open Days
- Virtual Open Days
See Our Facilities
Information for international students
- View international support and events near you
- English Language for your programme
- See accommodation, facilities, city and societies
- View our online learning
Sign up for an open day, visit or chat online
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School Administrator
- +44 (0)1224 272762