Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Months of entry
Biosciences research has a huge impact on helping people live longer and healthier lives. With the World Economic Forum identifying healthcare as one of the top 10 Global Challenges for 2030, there is a growing demand for specialists in this field.
This course provides you with a broad understanding of the molecular basis of biological systems, with a focus on the increasingly crucial role bioinformatics plays in modern biosciences.
- Study at a Top 10 University, on a course designed in consultation with clinical and industrial partners to give you the skills employers are looking for.
- Develop extensive knowledge in your specialist area of bioinformatics, as well as a broad understanding of molecular biosciences.
- Gain extensive research experience by carrying out two separate research projects.
- Further strengthen your employability with a project addressing the challenges of global environment sustainability, applying skills related to either entrepreneurship, teaching, media and communication, or public engagement.
- Get support from your dedicated Personal Tutor who you can go to for academic and non-academic support.
Specialise in bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is an exciting and rapidly growing field in biology offering career opportunities at the interface of biological and computational sciences. This interdisciplinary field applies computational approaches to analyse large biological datasets generated by the revolutionary technological advances in the field, including Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and omics-based technologies.
- You’ll learn to apply computational methods to answer biological questions ranging from bacterial epidemiology, healthy ageing and genomic medicine to evolution and conservation biology.
- You’ll work with researchers from our new Milner Centre for Evolution, supported by teaching staff in the Department of Computer Science.
- You'll have access to our bioinformatics sessions, enabling you to develop your scripting skills and study big data.
- You'll study some modules alongside data science students to ensure you are being taught the latest developments in computer science, and will also be able to participate in extra coding sessions to consolidate your learning.
Who is this course for?
This course is for you if you’ve graduated from any bioscience, medical, veterinary or related discipline and you’re interested in specialising in a career within the field of molecular microbiology.
We also offer the Molecular Biosciences course with specialisms in Microbiology, Medical Biosciences and Biotechnology.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1225 385115