Typically, you should have a first or second class bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent. We welcome applications from those with a 2:2 honours degree (or its international equivalent) in subjects with a high level of economics content.
To apply for this course, you must have an undergraduate degree in a social science or business-related discipline such as business administration, finance, accounting, international trade, banking, financial management, public finance or politics.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
Months of entry
January, May, September
Put economic insights into action
Businesses, research institutions and government agencies rely on professionals who can extract insights from financial data and make strategic decisions in a global economy. By studying the online MSc Applied Economics with the University of Bath, you will engage in comprehensive study of economic theory and gain practical skills to support efforts to sustain economic growth and improve lives.
The University of Bath’s Applied Economics course cuts through abstract to focus on how economics works in the real world. You’ll learn from big names in the field and receive cutting-edge software training that enables you to mine and analyse complex data. Through interactive exercises and case studies, you will learn how organisations address economic issues, financial crisis and other pressing challenges.
- Voted University of the Year 2023, and ranked 4th for Accounting and Finance by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023*
- 2nd in Accounting and Finance and 8th in Economics for graduate prospects in The Complete University Guide 2024*
- Top 5 for Accounting and Finance in The Guardian University Guide 2023*
Gain an edge in the global job market
At the University of Bath, your employability is the biggest focus. The course is bursting with contemporary ideas, you will practise with cutting-edge software as you explore real cases with economics issues facing today's global banking and financial markets. You will gain all the theoretical knowledge, practical experience, and confidence for a long & successful career in banking and finance.
Interactive online learning
You will learn via immersive video material and real-life case studies, as well as benefit from direct and regular communication with other students and lecturers. The Applied Economics (Banking and Financial Markets) online MSc is a passage to cutting-edge research and sought-after careers, for those with work and lifestyle commitments.
- Principles of Economics, Maths and Statistics (10 credits)
- Applied microeconomics A (10 credits)
- Applied microeconomics B (10 credits)
- Applied macroeconomics A (10 credits)
- Applied macroeconomics B (10 credits)
- Applied econometrics A (10 credits)
- Applied econometrics B (10 credits)
- Strategic decision making and games A (10 credits)
- Strategic decision making and games B (10 credits)
- Economics of financial institutions (10 credits)
- International monetary policy and institutions (10 credits)
- Financial markets (10 credits)
- Applied financial economics (10 credits)
- Applied research methods (10 credits)
- Master’s project (40 credits)
Information for international students
If your first language is not English you will need IELTS with a grade of at least 6.5 overall and no less than 6.0 in any of the four parts (listening, reading, writing and speaking). If you completed your degree in the UK within the last 2 years prior to the start of the course, you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- flexible30 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Online Admissions Team
- +44 (0)1225 738 000