You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically 2:1 or above.
To apply for this course you may have an undergraduate degree in any subject.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
Months of entry
Gain specialist knowledge and practical skills for the teaching of academic subjects in English.
All over the world, educational institutions at primary, secondary and tertiary levels are increasingly using English to teach academic subjects to students whose first language is not English. These subjects include business, engineering, science, biology, chemistry, physics, agriculture and medicine.
English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI), also sometimes referred to as English-medium teaching or bilingual education, is seen as a crucial aspect of helping institutions internationalise their offer and prepare their students for a globalised job market.
If you work as an educator in this field already, or aspire to do so, this master’s course (subject to final approval) offers you a unique opportunity to acquire specialised knowledge, skills and expertise in this rapidly-expanding area.
This course covers everything from EMI policy design to classroom pedagogy and strategies for intercultural communication with diverse student groups.
You will learn how to develop effective EMI courses and teaching materials to suit your students’ learning needs, and how to draw on research to inform your daily practice and decision making.
We place particular emphasis on helping you apply the latest thinking about EMI teaching to your own country and context. All the assignments are closely linked to real world activities that you will need to perform as an EMI educator.
Bath is highly regarded in the field of English language education. Working with our researchers, you will develop knowledge and skills from a range of academic fields, equipping you for employment in diverse EMI-related fields.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- teach your subject matter in a ‘language conscious’ way, drawing on effective strategies and ideas
- develop effective techniques for communicating the content of your courses
- teach culturally diverse groups of students through the medium of English
- develop an appropriate language policy for your institution
- design an appropriate curriculum, syllabus or set of teaching materials for use in your context
- assess and evaluate an English medium programme of study
- train other educators to teach their subject matter effectively through English
If you are interested in teaching English as a subject to non-English speakers, explore our MA TESOL course instead.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Taught Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1225 385 115