Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants should hold, or expect to receive both:
- A first or upper second class honours degree or equivalent in mathematics, or with substantial mathematical content
- Research or professional experience (e.g. Masters’ project, a degree with placement year, work experience in a graduate role)
Although it is not a strict requirement, most applicants will have completed a master's-level qualification in a mathematical subject.
Months of entry
At least 10 fully-funded PhD places are available each year (primarily aimed at home/EU students).
This innovative doctoral programme is funded by EPSRC and the University of Bath. The Integrated PhD programme incorporates masters-level study leading to the award of an MRes in Statistical Applied Mathematics followed by a research project leading to the award of a PhD. Students will continue through the programme as a cohort, working closely together to build knowledge and experience.
The EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Statistical Applied Mathematics at Bath (SAMBa) provides a dynamic, multidisciplinary research and training environment in a leading mathematical sciences department. Students will design and deliver a series of symposia, bringing in external speakers and as well as presenting material themselves. SAMBa will run twice yearly Integrative Think Tanks. These are intensive week-long events during which students are faced with industrial and/or cross-disciplinary problems to help train them in the process of synthesising relevant mathematical formulations into a research agenda.
PhD projects will be at the forefront of research at the Applied Maths and Statistics interface and it is hoped that a significant number will be carried out in collaboration with industrial and/or cross-disciplinary partners.
Information for international students
- IELTS: 6.5 overall with no less than 6.0 in all components
- The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic): 62 with no less than 59 in any element
- TOEFL IBT: 90 overall with a minimum 21 in all 4 components
Fees and funding
Fully funded 4-year studentships are available. A studentship covers:
- University fees
- payment of a tax-free stipend
- all SAMBa activities
- office space and computing facilities
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time48-60 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dr Susie Douglas
- +44 (0) 1225 385661