You should have a bachelor's honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
To apply for the Chinese pathway, you must normally have mother tongue competence in Chinese or English.
To apply for the Russian pathway, you must normally have mother tongue competence in Russian or English.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
Months of entry
Equip yourself to work as a professional interpreter and/or translator on this highly respected master's, which can include a placement.
Our MA Interpreting and Translating is designed to give you strong grounding and all the practical skills you need to work as a conference interpreter and professional translator at an international level.
You must have an excellent understanding of two languages and can choose from one of two pathways:
- path 1 allows you to work with two other languages (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) into English
- path 2 allows you to work in both directions between Chinese/English or Russian/English
Depending on your languages and whether you wish to work solely into English or in both directions.
This master's has been running for over 40 years and is highly respected internationally for the quality of the training. Many Bath graduates have gone on to work in organisations such as the EU and UN, as well as other language services around the world.
The course covers professional translation and different types of interpreting, including simultaneous and consecutive interpreting and liaison in both public and commercial settings.
You'll have access to the latest digital interpreting suites, and will participate in mini-conferences to put your skills into practice, holding debates on controversial topics and acting as both delegate and interpreter.
In many cases we can arrange a placement in an international organisation such as the EU and UN or other independent agency, giving you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career. Bath has a Memorandum of Understanding with the UN and European Parliament for training interpreters and translators, which means their trainers visit us regularly. This will give you an insight into the skills needed to work in those organisations.
The course is taught by highly experienced tutors who have all worked as professional translators and interpreters themselves. Many have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers, and work for international organisations. As such, they can share a wealth of experience with you and provide useful connections, including potential job opportunities.
You will leave with:
- a proven ability to work with varied and challenging texts and speeches, providing a strong foundation for working at an international level
- practical skills, such as experience of working to deadlines and using style guides
- contacts with potential employers and colleagues from your placement
- contacts with our strong alumni network of linguists who work in international organisations, private bodies and independent agencies
- evidence of translation skills, including the 10,000-word translation and 5,000-word commentary you'll complete at the end of the taught part of the course
Information for international students
If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years, you completed your degree in the UK, you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
English language requirements
You will normally need one of the following:
- IELTS: 7.5 overall with no less than 7 in the speaking component and no less than 6.5 in the writing, listening and reading components
- The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic): 73 overall with no less than 65 in the speaking element and no less than 58 in the writing, listening and reading elements
- TOEFL IBT: 108 overall with a minimum of 27 in the speaking component and a minimum of 24 in the writing, listening and reading components.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Taught Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1225 385 115