Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
To apply for the European Stream you will need mother tongue competence in English and degree-level competence in two foreign languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian).
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years you completed your degree in an English speaking country you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Months of entry
Equip yourself to work as a professional interpreter and translator on this highly respected master's, which may include a training opportunity.
Our MA Interpreting and Translating is designed to give you the practical skills and experience you need to work as an interpreter and translator at a high level.
You must have an excellent understanding of two languages. You can choose from one of two pathways:
- Path 1 allows you to work with two other languages (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) into English
This master's has been running for over 50 years and is highly respected for the quality of the training provided. Many Bath graduates have gone on to work in international organisations such as the EU and UN as well as other language services around the world.
The course covers professional translation and simultaneous, consecutive and liaison interpreting in public service and commercial settings.
You'll have access to the latest digital interpreting labs, and will participate in mini-conferences to put your skills into practice, holding debates on controversial topics and acting as both delegate and interpreter.
We seek to arrange external training opportunities for our students with the United Nations or independent agencies, giving you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career.
The course is taught by experienced tutors who have all worked as professional translators and interpreters themselves. Some have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers, and/or work for international organisations. They are therefore able to share this wealth of experience with you and provide useful advice on joining the profession.
You will leave with:
- a proven ability to work with varied and challenging texts and speeches, providing a strong foundation for working at an international level
- experience of working to deadlines and using style guides
- contacts with potential employers and colleagues from your external training
- access to our close-knit alumni network of linguists who work in international organisations, private bodies and independent agencies
- evidence of translation skills, including the 10,000-word translation and 5,000-word commentary you complete at the end of the taught part of the course
Through our extensive network of contacts we try to organise external training for students with the language services of international organisations, government departments or translation companies. These opportunities provide an invaluable insight into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory or guaranteed.
Our students have previously undertaken training with many organisations, including:
- the United Nations
- institutions of the European Union
- the Council of Europe
The MA Interpreting and Translating is a highly vocational course with a strong reputation. Some of our graduates have found rewarding jobs in smaller companies and institutions or chosen to work as freelancers, while many have pursued stimulating careers as professional translators and interpreters.
Our graduates have gone on to work for the following organisations:
- European Commission
- Foreign Office
- Gazprom Germania Gmbh
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Court of Justice
- International Telecommunication Union
- International Union of Railways (Paris)
- Ministry of Defence
- United Nations in Geneva, Vienna, Nairobi and New York
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Taught Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1225 385 115