About Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
About the Graduate School
The Graduate School in the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences is a vibrant community of over 1,300 postgraduate taught students and over 450 research students.
We’re a dedicated support service with an expert, friendly team who provide an important point of contact before your arrival at Bath and throughout your studies. We encourage our students to work in partnership, communicating across our six departments: Economics, Education, Health, Politics, Languages & International Studies, Psychology, and Social & Policy Sciences.
Our South West Doctoral Training Partnership is one of the UK's largest units of postgraduate research training for social sciences, building great links with the universities of Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth and UWE whilst fostering a great mutual research environment. Our Graduate Centre located on campus is a great place to meet other students across the University, creating a great community of like-minded students and researchers to share ideas, learn from, and socialise with.
We host a number of diverse events and social activities across the year exclusively for our postgraduate students, including a two-day student conference, Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition and a postgraduate research summer poster competition.
The wider University also offers postgraduate students with everything from skills training, career advice and support services. And of course, our postgraduates are encouraged to take advantage of all the sports, arts and Students' Union facilities available on campus.
Academic expertise and awards
The Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences is a multi-disciplinary academic community that is contributing to socially significant research at a world-class level. Research strengths in the core disciplinary themes of our six departments can be found below:
- Politics, Languages and International Studies
- Social and Policy Science
In addition to the core disciplinary themes offered by over 270 academic staff across the departments, there are several interdisciplinary research themes linking staff across the Faculty including:
- Conflict and security
- Environment and sustainability
- Poverty and social justice
- Childhood and youth
- Health and wellbeing
- Technology and the knowledge economy
Our academic staff are part of numerous research projects that take place across our departments.
We also arrange Research Sandpits to stimulate new research proposals across a diverse range of academic disciplines.
Here in the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences we understand the importance of social sciences. We understand how social scientists are involved in solving the world’s biggest problems, and how social sciences can improve the societies we live in.
We offer an array of masters courses that will allow you to develop the skills to take forward in your career and make in difference in social sciences today:
- MA Education
- MA International Education and Globalisation
- MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- MRes Education
- MSc Research in Health Practice
- MSc Sport & Exercise Medicine
- MSc Sports Physiotherapy
- MRes Health & Wellbeing
Politics, languages and international studies
- MA Contemporary European Studies ('Euromasters' and 'Euromasters with Trans-Atlantic track')
- MA International Relations
- MA International Relations and European Politics
- MA International Security
- MA Interpreting & Translating
- MA Translation & Professional Language Skills
- MA Translation with Business Interpreting (Chinese)
- MRes Politics and International Studies
Social and policy sciences
- Politics, Languages & International Studies
- Social & Policy Sciences
In addition, and in collaboration with the South West Doctoral Training Partnership (SWDTP), we also offer the following interdisciplinary PhD programmes:
- Sustainable Futures
- Global Political Economy: Transformations & Policy Analysis
- Health & Wellbeing
- Security, Conflict and Human Rights
- Advanced Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences
- Doctor of Education (EdD)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Professional Doctorate in Health
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- Professional Doctorate in Policy Research and Practice
Please visit our website to find the relevant contact details. Alternatively, please email: