- Applicants need to have a First or 2:1 Honours degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate subject, from a recognised university. - Advanced qualification (MEd, MA or MPhil) in education or a related field. Alternatively, the completion of two Masters level education-focused units at the University of Bath will be considered. - Appropriate professional experience in the practice of education or a related field.
Months of entry
The Doctor of Education degree is aimed at experienced educational professionals and sets out to place you at the leading edge of your professional field in terms of knowledge, awareness and understanding. The professional doctorate is for those who are eager to make substantial and original contributions to the development of educational knowledge in a broad range of settings. The EdD degree has four key features:
- it is characterised by a high-level academic study of a range of educational and professional issues
- it comprises four tutored units and a supervised research component
- it enables you to make a contribution to knowledge through unit assignments, and through your research enquiry
- it focuses on the interplay and relationship between advanced professional issues and academic enquiry.
- Educational Research: philosophy and practice
- Educational Policy: theory and practice
- Curriculum philosophy and practice
- Educational management, leadership and administration
- International education: philosophy and practice
- Language, culture and education
- Philosophy of education
- Pilot research enquiry *
- Reading paper *
* If your background and experience is appropriate, one of your units can be a reading paper or a pilot research enquiry.
You will also complete a 45,000-word Research Enquiry - a tutor-supported piece of research which draws on your modular study and existing work/interests.
Globalisation, International Education, Policy and Organisation (GIEPO) Philosophy, Language and Educational Practices (PLEP) Physical Cultural Studies (pcs@bath) We also work closely with the International Centre for Higher Education Management.
Information for international students
IELTS 7.0 (with not less than 6.5 in each of the four components). TOEFL 600 (paper-based test) or 250 (computer-based test) with a score of not less than 4 in TWE or 100 (internet-based test) with not less than 24 in each of the components.
Fees and funding
View information on the funding opportunities: http://www.bath.ac.uk/hss/graduate-school/research-programmes/funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Officer
- +44 (0)1225 386545