Candidates must hold a good Honours degree (or equivalent) in physiotherapy from a recognised university.
Evidence of the following must also be provided in the application:
- Current registration / licence to practice as a Physiotherapist
- Chartered Physiotherapist status (necessary for UK applicants only)
- A minimum of two years post-licensure work experience in a physiotherapy role (as evidenced by CV/employment history)
- A letter to support your application outlining why you would like to participate in the Sports Physiotherapy programme (max. 500 words).
Months of entry
A world class course for physiotherapists seeking a specialist qualification in sports physiotherapy compliant with international standards of practice. The Sports Physiotherapy programme drives students to develop an evidence-based, problem-solving and clinically reasoned approach to learning. The programme provides an innovative blend of knowledge-based, activity-based and experiential learning, with face-to-face and distance teaching. The majority of the content of the programme is delivered online to allow students to engage in flexible study alongside their clinical practice. To complement the online teaching there is a face to face induction event at the University and residential teaching weeks in the first and second years of the programme. Reflective, practice-based elements are provided through professional experiential learning and online virtual workshops.
- Endorsed by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists (CSP)
- Meets international competencies and standards set by the International Federation of Sports Physiotherapists (IFSP)
- Integrates the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports Medicine (ACPSM) CPD pathway
- Flexible and online, allowing you to study alongside your clinical practice
Residential teaching events take place at the University and you will be expected to attend the following:
- Sports Science Residential Week - Year One (January)
- Clinical Residential Week - Year Two (June)
Year one (Certificate):
Sports Physiotherapy in Practice 1
Athlete Biomechanics and Sports Analysis
Year two (Diploma):
Sports Physiotherapy in Practice 2
Performance Physiotherapy (spine, lower limb, upper limb)
Year three (MSc):
Evidence Based Clinical Sports Physiotherapy
Research Project Design
Sports Physiotherapy Research Project
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 (with not less than 6.0 in each of the four components). TOEFL 580 (paper-based test) or 237 (computer-based test) with a score of not less than 4 in the TWE or 92 (internet-based test) with not less than 24 in each of the components.
Fees and funding
The Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Graduate School provides guidance on potential sources of funding (studentships and scholarships) for postgraduate students. For more information,please visit our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Officer
- +44 (0)1225 385233