Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent, and a recognised TEFLT/TESOL certificate and/or relevant teaching experience.
IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, for non-native speakers of English. International applications will be assessed using UKBA and University of Bedfordshire policy. Check English language requirements at: English language requirements
Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
Months of entry
About the course
Whether you are a native or non-native English speaker, if you are a practising or aspiring teacher of English this course offers you an advanced level professional qualification, with assessed teaching practice and the opportunity to carry out a major piece of individual research in a personal interest area.
- This is one of the few courses which offers observed and assessed teaching practice
- TEFL Q status (Q = fully qualified teacher status in British Council terms) for those with at least two years of experience
- TEFLi status (i = initial teacher status in British Council terms).for those who start the course without teaching experience
Opportunities exist to teach in countries all over the world at universities, colleges or private language schools but also to carry out research at a PhD level.
Areas of study include:
- The language system and language teaching
- The methodology of language teaching
- Exploring research: concepts and methods
- Teaching practice
- Assessment and accreditation
- L2 materials development
- Issues in TEFL
- Professional practice
Fees and funding
For details on the financial support on offer at the University of Bedfordshire please visit our website: Scholarships and bursaries
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written/ formal examinations||33|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||33|
|Dissertation||34 (20000 words)|
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1582 743500