Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent. Honours degree in a medical, biomedical, pharmaceutical, biological, chemical science or a related science subject.
Months of entry
About the course
Modern biotechnology is a hugely complex subject, and this course covers its key area, helping you develop an advanced understanding of molecular and computational biology through to applied microbiology. You will learn about the latest new technologies in these three areas, gain insights into how they are used in the global biotechnology industry, and discover how microbes can be used on an industrial scale to benefit humankind.
- Study the latest developments in applied microbiology and computational biology in high-quality, broad-based classes taught by dedicated staff with research experience in specialist subject areas.
- Explore the latest technologies in molecular biology and the industrial processes that are used to exploit microbes for specific products and applications.
- Develop the ability to use information from relevant sources, and independently and critically evaluate current research and advanced scholarship.
- Gain the ability to use assured, accurate and fluent language to present your work, and learn to develop graphs and images that clearly illustrate complex points.
- Benefit from a wide knowledge base and the key transferable skills that will give you the opportunity to take your career to new heights.
In addition to developing your specialist knowledge and understanding, there is emphasis on developing your approach and attitude to working by emphasising and encouraging the professional standards expected by employers. This is supported by a departmental seminar programme that includes speakers from industry who will give you an insight into what they expect from employees.
The University also has a programme of seminars and workshops designed to help you recognise and boost the attributes expected and appreciated by employers. This is supplemented by trips and visits.
Areas of study may include:
- Molecular Biology
- Computational Biology
- Analytical Methods
- Applied Microbiology
- Laboratory Based Research Project (Biotechnology)
Fees and funding
Fees are £6,800. You can apply for a loan from the Government to help pay for your tuition fees and living costs. Visit Postgraduate loans.
See UK/EU Postgraduate students for full information on fees and funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- + 44 (0)1582 743 500