Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent.
For non-native speakers of English IELTS 6.0 overall, or equivalent, with no score lower than 5.5.
A good first degree, and/or a recognised TEFL/TESOL certificate and/or relevant teaching experience.
Months of entry
This course is designed for experienced language teachers who want to become directors of studies/managers of ELT or language teaching and learning centres/institutions.
Students will gain the knowledge and experience needed to carry out management and leadership duties, enhancing their career opportunities leading to a professional, postgraduate qualification.
Students will gain a better understanding of management in education, and, in particular, in the international language teaching and learning (ELT and TEFL) industry, preparing them to play a leadership role in the management and coordination of ELT centres and language departments, second language materials development and language assessment.
- Study on an interdisciplinary course that combines the fields of language teaching and learning, teacher training management and leadership in an international context.
- Gain relevant and practical teaching experience and professional practical experience with a work placement programme where you will meet home and international students at various levels in their career, enabling you to work in an international environment and learn from each other’s experiences.
- Develop your understanding of English language teaching and learning in order to operate successfully in a management and leadership role and support others.
- Learn from experienced lecturers and researchers whose expertise and research lie in the areas of ELT, Language Teaching and Learning and Assessment, Materials Development for Language Teaching and Learning, and Leadership Management in Education. They are also involved in consultancy work with colleges and schools preparing for acceptance into accreditation schemes and inspections.
- Enhance your professional thinking and develop your own personal initiative as you conduct research in a specific area related to the fields of ELT, Management and Leadership.
- Benefit from close links with our Centre for Research in English Language Learning and Assessment (CRELLA), a world-famous centre in language testing and programme evaluation.
This MA in English Language Teaching (Leadership and Management) offers opportunities for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) as one of the main goals of this programme. It also acts as a way of providing advanced knowledge and skills to facilitate employability and subsequent career development in management.
At the end of the course, students will have completed a needs analysis and career development plan. The course team will also give advice on job opportunities, and continuing staff development. Students will also be expected to achieve the full professional standards necessary to prosper and manage a busy and successful language school/centre. This will be monitored throughout the units included in this programme under the guidance of lecturers and tutors. This programme offers, therefore, distinct career advantages through professional career developments and it caters for:
- experienced language teachers seeking to add ELT Leadership and Management to their portfolio;
- ELT teachers who want to further their career opportunities with ELT Leadership and Management;
- those looking for a management position in ELT/ Language Teaching.
Information for international students
To apply for a postgraduate degree (MA/MSc/MBA/LLM) at the University of Bedfordshire applicants should have a good honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in an appropriate subject from a recognised university or HE institution.
We will also consider candidates with other relevant qualifications or appropriate work experience.
Applicants also need to have the required English language qualification
Contact your country’s International Admissions Team for more information.
A prompt payment discount is available if the applicant pays the full fee before or at registration. There are also special scholarships available.
See Fees and Funding for International Students for full information.
Fees and funding
See UK/EU Postgraduate students for full information on fees and funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 01234 400400