Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK, usually in a relevant area.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent), usually in a relevant area.
Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases, form an integral part of the entrance requirements.
Months of entry
Carry out your own independent research in Byzantine Studies as part of one of the largest and most vibrant communities of Byzantine scholars in the UK.
You can complete your research project in any aspect of Byzantine Studies, as agreed with your supervisor. The taught component will allow you to develop your knowledge in a range of topics, including ancient texts, language, visual culture and archaeology.
Why study this course?
- The Byzantine Studies MRes forms part of the Centre for Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies (CBOMGS) which is the only centre in the UK to bring all of these subjects together within a single unit. CBOMGS aims to provide a stimulating environment for cross-disciplinary research and inter-cultural dialogue.
- The Centre for Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies has a large postgraduate community which has its own forum (GEM, Gateway to the Eastern Mediterranean) and programme of meetings. The postgraduates organise an annual international postgraduate colloquium. They also participate in the weekly General Seminar of the Centre and in the Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies.
- The Centre for Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies has a historical focus, and History at the University of Birmingham was ranked first in the country in the latest Research Excellence Framework results: 45% of research at the University of Birmingham for History was top rated ‘world-leading’. A further 42% was rated ‘internationally excellent’.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dr Daniel Reynolds
- +44 (0)121 415 8336