Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- We normally expect a minimum of one year’s current experience of working or supporting someone on the autism spectrum.
- Access to an online multimedia computer and a personal email is essential (at home, or an out-of-hours workplace).
Learn more about entry requirements
Months of entry
The online Autism Spectrum Disorders course is for practitioners who support children and adults on the autism spectrum, including Asperger syndrome.
This distance learning Autism Spectrum Disorders course is an entry level professional development qualification completed over a year of part-time study, earning 60 credits at Level C (equivalent to the first six months of an undergraduate degree). It will provide you with a broad understanding of the autism spectrum, an introduction to the latest research and an insight into current practice. You will be able to draw upon recognised strategies for meeting the needs of individuals with autism in a variety of settings such as in the home, classroom, college, or supported living environments.
Learning support assistants, support staff and parents will find this distance learning programme particularly helpful. Academic credits and qualifications from the webautism programme can be used as a springboard to further study.
- The University of Birmingham is a leading provider of degree-level education in autistic spectrum disorders in the UK.
- Our Autism Spectrum course develops real insight and encourages reflective practice. You will be tutored by recognized experts in the field of autism inclusion who work in the Autism Centre for Education and Research (ACER).
- You will have access to an extensive library and research materials as well as benefiting from other activities such as online seminars.
The Autism Spectrum Dosorders course has been approved by the British Psychological Society for the purpose of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dr Lila Kossyvaki