Attainment of good Honours degree awarded by an approved University in an appropriate subject or the equivalent thereof. Or, attainment of an alternative qualification and/or experience judged by the School as indicating potential for research and as satisfactory for the purpose of entry to a research degree programme.
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, June, May, April, March, February
We provide wide and varied opportunities for students to undertake research degrees. One of our particular strengths is the research we carry out. We have a national and international reputation as a centre of excellence.
We have a national and international reputation as a centre of excellence and provide wide and varied opportunities for students to undertake research. Our academic expertise covers a broad range of disciplines grouped into three main departments:
- Disability, Inclusion and Special Needs
- Education and Social Justice
- Professional Education
Within each department we also have a number of highly successful research centres which reflect the diversity of our research activity.
Our strategy towards research and research degrees is centred on three key principles:
- Research should seek to combine scholarly and empirical work on fundamental issues with a concern for development work linked to practice; a dialogue between fundamental study and development work can enrich both
- Research should recognise the importance of professional practice and be pursued through active collaboration with schools, colleges, LAs, and voluntary and other professional bodies in the UK and internationally
- Research is often a multidisciplinary activity and strong links across specialisms must be encouraged and supported
The interdependence of research with development and professional practice means that we particularly welcome the contribution of research students to our work. We provide a comprehensive programme of research training, together with opportunities to take part in research seminars where speakers with national and international reputations present work that is at the forefront of current debates within the field.
Explore postgraduate study at Birmingham at one of our on-campus open days
If you can’t make it to one of our on-campus open days, our virtual open days run regularly throughout the year.
Information for international students
International students can find details of scholarships on our website
Fees and funding
Please visit our website
Qualification and course duration
MA by research
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Enquiry Service
- 0121 414 5005