We operate a flexible admissions policy – this means that you could receive a lower conditional offer than the typical offer, informed by our assessment of your complementary non-academic achievements and experience.
- have a first degree, or demonstrate ability to study at Level 7
- hold a recognised professional qualification in social work, nursing, occupational therapy or psychology
- have current registration with the appropriate professional statutory body (NMC; HCPC; BPS) as either a social worker, a nurse, an occupational therapist or a psychologist
- be engaged in complex professional practice in mental health services for a minimum of 15 hours per week
Months of entry
This level 7 course is for social workers, occupational therapists, nurses and psychologists who are working in the mental health services and looking for approval by a local authority to practise as an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP).
This is a specific, legally defined role under the Mental Health Act 1983 that qualifies you to assess whether there are grounds to detain mentally disordered individuals, a responsibility that used to be the preserve of social workers but that has since been opened up to other mental health professionals.
The course operates in close partnership with four local authorities: Brighton & Hove City Council, East Sussex County Council, West Sussex County Council and Surrey County Council.
Fees and funding
The fees for the Approved Mental Health Practice PGDip are charged according to module.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time6 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiries Team
- +44(0)1273 644644