An upper second-class honours degree (or international equivalent) in medicine, biomedical science/clinical laboratory science or related subjects. A lower second-class honours degree or non-degree qualifications may be considered with evidence of laboratory experience and other academic achievement.
Months of entry
This programme covers a fascinating range of subjects, including molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, tissue engineering, clinical medicine, laboratory management and statistics.
It is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science and is based at NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) in Filton, one of the largest transfusion centres in the world, enabling visits to manufacturing, testing and tissue typing sections. You will learn from specialist lecturers from the University, NHSBT and NHS hospitals, and have an opportunity to become fully embedded in an NHS environment while you develop your knowledge.
The programme will give you extensive practical experience of transfusion and transplantation, allowing you to gain skills that directly relate to your future career. As well as being of academic interest, this continually developing area of healthcare science has a major impact on patients' quality of life.
- is one of just two specialist full-time courses in transfusion and transplantation, and is a recommended course at level seven in the Career Framework for Health
- gives you the opportunity to carry out your MSc project with NHSBT research staff within the transfusion centre
- has high contact hours, with teaching each day and practical classes
- includes a large skills component (eg writing in different formats, conference and publication skills, assignments with specific study aims)
- includes laboratory management, a key skill required at level seven
- attracts a diverse range of students (about 50 per cent of whom are from outside the UK), including new graduates, those working in blood centres or blood transfusion/haematology in hospitals, or training to lecture in transfusion
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Education Administrator
- +44 (0) 117 331 1534