An upper second-class honours degree (or international equivalent) in physics, chemistry, materials science or a related subject (e.g. MSci, MPhys, MEng, MChem). Applicants with a lower second-class honours BSc degree may be considered if they can demonstrate very good potential for research.
Months of entry
Bristol Centre for Functional Nanomaterials (BCFN) is a nationally-funded (EPSRC) Centre for Doctoral Training. Our four-year integrated PhD programme begins with a structured year of training, giving you all the foundational skills necessary for you to prosper in your PhD research.
There is a very strong emphasis on exploration and students are actively encouraged to try different research themes before choosing their PhD topic.
Other features of the first year:
- Interdisciplinary research projects giving you practical training in all the key characterisation and fabrication techniques in a variety of different labs
- Expert-led group-work, practical sessions and lecture courses in advanced topics
- Real training from scientists working in world-leading companies so you can see real-world applications of research
- A visit to a leading centre overseas
- A six-month extended project on a topic of your choice, during which you will choose your PhD project
- Extensive skills training in leadership, creativity, writing, presenting, group work, leading discussions, etc.
After the first year, students usually move to an academic department in the faculties of science, engineering or medical sciences for their PhD project but remain a BCFN student and keep close ties through taking part in teaching, regular seminars and events.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
UK nationals are eligible for an EPSRC studentship, which covers tuition fees and living costs. This also applies to EU nationals who have lived in the UK for at least three years.
Further information on funding for prospective UK, EU and international postgraduate students.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- BCFN Manager
- +44 (0) 117 394 0018