Applicants to the Clinical MD in General Internal Medicine should have:
- An MBBS or equivalent degree
- Successfully completed one year of internship at a hospital and must supply their Certificate of Completion.
- An IELTS score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.5 in each section* and a reference letter confirming that all previous training in medicine has been in English.
- Graduated from an internationally recognised medical school.
- Completed their undergraduate training and be fully registered with the Medical Council in their respective countries.
- Two character reference letters from any member of their medical school academic staff, OR from their current senior medical colleagues and consultants.
Months of entry
Detailed theory teaching and clinical training is given in all sub-specialities of General Internal Medicine with emphasis on clinically relevant, state-of-the-art and topical issues. The following medical sub-specialities will be comprehensively covered in a structured way over 2 or 3 years for the University of Buckingham Clinical MD programmes:
- Respiratory Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Emergency Medicine
- Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Critical Care including ITU
- Haematology & Oncology
- Medical Opthalmology
- Ethics and Law in Medicine
- Audit and Dissertation
The entire curriculum will be taught over 8 terms (for the 2-year MD) or 12 terms (for the 3-year MD) of 10 weeks duration each, with one module per term and 4 terms each year.
Students will be expected to spend eight 10-week placements at other UK NHS Trusts. A minimum of two terms will be spent at any one trust hospital. This will provide exposure to a broader clinical experience. Full details of our placement policy can be found here: Clinical Placement Policy.
Information for international students
Buckingham is a truly global community with students of all ages and cultures: over 90 countries are represented. It is a place to establish lasting networks, both professionally and socially. Our alumni networks operate successfully all over the world and we encourage them to stay in touch with us.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Miriam Averna
- +44 (0)1280 827550
- +44 (0)1280 822245