Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You must have or expect to achieve a first class degree in materials science or materials engineering.
Months of entry
The MASt in Materials Science aims to train to master's-level students who already have a bachelors' degree in materials science. It is a predominantly taught course in which candidates work alongside the fourth-year students taking the integrated Cambridge BA/MSci Materials Science course. It is designed for students who may wish to pursue a professional career in materials science, materials engineering or related areas (in academic or industrial research) and who are already familiar with the subject.
The course allows students to continue a broad materials science education across a range of topics: the taught element consists of a series of approximately 14 modular lecture courses, covering a broad range of aspects of materials science, including structural materials, device materials, materials characterisation, materials chemistry, and biological and pharmaceutical materials. A research project is undertaken over six months, between October and March.
Specific aims are:
- to build on the knowledge and ideas gained in prior materials science courses;
- to develop a more specialised and in-depth understanding of materials science in selected areas;
- to further develop analytical and presentation skills, both orally and in writing; and
- to provide training in investigating research problems, including gaining an understanding of relevant research techniques and also of the design and interpretation of experiments.
At the end of the course students should:
- be able to apply the ideas and concepts introduced in the course to solve problems, do calculations, make predictions and critically evaluate information and ideas;
- be able to demonstrate an understanding of the courses attended, and of their individual research projects;
- be able to demonstrate practical, organisational and presentational skills that will enable them to continue successfully with research or in other professional careers; and
- be able to demonstrate the necessary skills and understanding required for a career in materials science.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details