Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK first class honours degree in materials science or materials engineering.
Months of entry
The MASt in Materials Science aims to train to Masters level students who already have a bachelors' degree in Materials Science. It is a predominantly taught course in which candidates work alongside the 4th-year students taking the integrated Cambridge BA/MSci Materials Science course. It is designed for students who may wish to pursue a professional career in Materials Science / Materials Engineering or related areas (in academic or industrial research) and who are already familiar with the subject.
The course allows students to continue a broad Materials Science education across a range of topics : the taught element consists of a series of approximately 16 modular lecture courses, covering a broad range of aspects of Materials Science, including Structural Materials, Device Materials, Materials Characterisation, Materials Chemistry and Biological & Pharmaceutical Materials. A research project is undertaken over 6 months, between October and March.
Specific aims are:
- to build on the knowledge and ideas gained in prior Materials Science courses;
- to develop a more specialised and in-depth understanding of Materials Science in selected areas;
- to further develop analytical and presentational skills, both orally and in writing;
- to provide training in investigating research problems, including gaining an understanding of relevant research techniques and also of the design and interpretation of experiments.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries