Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK 2:1 Honours Degree.
Non-medical applicants usually have degrees in quantitative science or a health-related area, although other relevant experience will also be considered.
Months of entry
Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants of health-related states or events in specified populations, and the application of this study to control and prevent health problems at the population level. Recognition of the importance of these study areas has led to increasing demand for professionals with formal training in epidemiology.
This full-time course is designed to provide successful students with the necessary knowledge and specialist skills to be able to design, conduct, critique and apply epidemiological research in either a service or an academic setting.
The course is open to medical and non-medical graduates and is aimed at the following groups:
- Graduate students who wish to pursue a career in epidemiological research
- Graduate students who wish to gain an advanced understanding of epidemiological and statistical principles to underpin future research interests
- Public health professionals who wish to gain a fuller understanding of epidemiology and its application to public health in practice.
The MPhil in Epidemiology's main aims are:
- to give students with relevant experience at a first-degree level the opportunity to carry out focused research in the discipline under close supervision; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills to design, conduct, critique and apply epidemiological research in either a service or an academic setting.
A variety of teaching and learning methods are used during the course including lectures, practical exercises, one-to-one supervisions and self-directed learning. The level moves from basic to advanced epidemiology and biostatistics within the three terms.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time10 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details