Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
This MPhil caters both for beginners in Akkadian and those with some previous knowledge of the language. A demanding course, this MPhil delivers competence in language and specialist knowledge of culture and history over a relatively short time. All MPhil students in the Division of Archaeology take a Research Skills module and write a dissertation (15,000 words maximum). The MPhil in Assyriology also includes three taught modules, chosen in consultation with the supervisor according to the student's interests. The student's first choice must be a language course. The student's second and third modules can be chosen from the modules listed below, and with the consent of the module's instructor and the MPhil in Assyriology Coordinator one of these may be any other appropriate MPhil module offered in the Division of Archaeology. Modules typically offered include:
- Akkadian (Akkadian language and texts or Advanced Akkadian language and texts)
- Sumerian language and texts (Sumerian is normally only available to those with some previous knowledge of Akkadian).
- Mesopotamian culture (Mesopotamian literature or Mesopotamian religion and scholarship)
- Archaeology of Mesopotamia (Archaeology of Mesopotamia: Early period to 2000 BC or Archaeology of Mesopotamia: Late period, 2000–539 BC)
- Topics in Mesopotamian history and archaeology
- Any other appropriate MPhil module taught in the Division of Archaeology subject to the consent of the module's instructor and the MPhil in Assyriology Coordinator.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time11 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Graduate Admissions
- +44 1223 337733