First Class undergraduate degree in economics which includes standard courses in intermediate level microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics (a business studies, accountancy or management degree or qualification does not provide an adequate background). Applicants from North American institutions: a GPA of at least 3.8 out of 4 or the equivalent. Applicants from other educational systems: within the top ten per cent of their reference group.
Months of entry
The MPhil in Economic Research is the first year of a four-year route to a PhD and runs from mid-September to the end of July. The MPhil in Economic Research is the foundation year for the PhD programme and involves a thorough study of the core areas of economics and the requirement to explore one area in detail in order to begin the process of choosing a PhD research topic. However, please note that it is not necessary to have a detailed proposal for PhD research at the time of applying.
On completion of the MPhil degree students should have:
- acquired advanced technical training in microeconomics, macroeconomics, and econometrics;
- acquired, through optional papers, some knowledge of work at the frontiers of the subject in particular areas;
- begun to acquire independent research skills and experience of putting them into practice;
- acquired experience and guidance in formulating a realistic research topic and prepared written work to a strict timetable; and
- acquired sufficient knowledge and understanding of advanced economics to proceed to a research degree.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time11 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details