If you wish to apply to join the programme you must:
- Hold a qualification in one of the healthcare professions or another relevant qualification
- Be a post-foundation-year doctor in primary, secondary or tertiary care or a professional allied to medicine who is involved in teaching students at undergraduate or postgraduate levels or who has a role in training and appraising healthcare professionals
- Have had at least one year of experience as a teacher prior to starting the programme.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Certificate is aimed at doctors and other professionals allied to medicine who have a teaching role and/or a role in training and appraising healthcare professionals. This includes doctors working in: primary care; secondary care at all levels from foundation year 2 to consultant grades; and other professionals allied to medicine that have a role in teaching both undergraduates and postgraduates.
The programme is designed to provide practical solutions to teaching undergraduates or postgraduates as individuals, small groups and larger groups. It will look at the theory behind teaching in medical settings and how these apply in real life situations. It is also designed to provide help in developing skills in giving feedback, appraisal and assessment. Where possible the teaching will be adaptable so that it can help specific groups of teachers in their particular environment.
The programme is designed to meet recommendations of the GMC and Academy of Medical Educators, and aims to contribute to continuing professional development of doctors and allied professionals in an integrated clinical and teaching environment to stimulate more inter-professional education; and to develop a cohort of professionals who will pursue and develop their roles as teachers in the field of medical education. Students successfully completing the programme will have gained skills and knowledge to:
- Ensure safe and effective patient care through training
- Establish and maintain an environment for learning
- Teach and assess learning and apply core theoretical principles to their own educational contexts
- Support and monitor educational progress
- Guide personal and professional development.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Enquiries
- +44 (0)1223 746262