Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- At least a 2:2 degree in health related area (or equivalent qualification from a recognised overseas Higher Education Institution)
- UK applicants must be a qualified midwife registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council in the UK and have no restrictions on their professional practice
- Demonstrate evidence of successful academic study at a minimum of Level 6 or equivalent and is normally within the last 3 years
- 2 references required
Other entry requirements apply, please see course webpage for more details.
Months of entry
January, May, September
If you’re a practising midwife our MSc in Midwifery puts you at the cutting-edge of thinking, research and practice to benefit your career. It’ll also help you meet new challenges and opportunities as a practitioner, partner and leader delivering and shaping future maternity services.
Taught by a collaborative, multi-professional community, in class and online, you’ll be challenged to think critically about health care, in the UK and internationally. You’ll synthesise your experience, knowledge and new learning to debate contemporary issues.
The way we deliver the course means it fits around work and it’s accessible from anywhere in the world.
Accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (UK) for Preparation of Midwife Teachers. An ECSACON Fellowship may be available for overseas graduates on completion of the East, Central and Southern Africa College of Nursing students.WHY STUDY WITH US
- You’ll be able to focus on key areas like expert practice, professionalism, leadership and management and education.
- You’ll also look at service development and change, including legal, ethical, cultural and societal issues.
- You’ll get high level support from experienced academics with field specific experience.
- You’ll be taught in class and via e-learning, using multimedia teaching materials, live interactive sessions, with email contact with tutors and peer groups, message boarding and scheduled live personal tutorials.
- Reflections and peer study, including with those from around the world, is a valuable part of the course which is delivered in English.
- There are stepping off points at postgraduate certificate, postgraduate diploma, and master’s degree levels.
We use a range of assessment strategies which include: written assignments, reflective tasks, case presentations, portfolios, peer observation, OSCEs, Viva’s, clinical assessments, project/grant applications, dissertation.
You’ll need to complete each module for which you are registered, and to deadline unless we agree an extension. For CPD you’ll need to demonstrate working in leadership roles.FUTURE CAREERS
Following successful completion of the MSc Midwifery course, you’ll go on to progress in your chosen career or you could pursue further study with a Professional Doctorate in Health and/or a PhD.
Successful completion of the course means you’ll meet new requirements of midwives including having a master’s qualification.FURTHER INFORMATION
All tutors are qualified to teach and many of the academic staff teaching on this course are qualified nurses and or midwives; some contribute to the pre and post registration midwifery curriculum. The course team have a wide range of expertise and skills within midwifery, sexual health and neonatal practice. The team keep up-to-date with evidence-based practice and utilise research based evidence to inform teaching.
As part of the course you will have the opportunity to hear about the experiences of service users, carers, patients and public members via our community engagement and service user support groups (Comensus).
Information for international students
For overseas students you must demonstrate evidence of International English Language Testing (IELTS). A minimum of 7.0 in all elements of the test must be achieved within the last 2 years.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24-60 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)1772 892400