Secondary Biology PGCE (including School Direct) with QTS
Applicants will normally:
- hold or be expected to gain a minimum 2:2 degree (2:1 preferred) with a significant proportion of Biology plus the ability to demonstrate an enthusiasm for science and science education.
- have GCSE grade C/grade 4 in English Language and Maths
- have to pass the NCTL skills tests in literacy and numeracy
Apply online at UCAS.
Months of entry
The University of Chester offers PGCE Secondary Science enhanced with Biology leading to a Post Graduate Certificate in Education for the age range 11-16 with sixth form enhancement.
Teaching is an extremely rewarding and challenging career. Our course is designed to provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills that you need to be an outstanding teacher.
We aim to nurture teachers who are passionate about the development of their own and their pupils' learning.
Why Study Secondary Biology (including School Direct) with QTS with us?
The course allows you to teach Secondary Science with a focus on your specialism. You will develop your subject knowledge, practical skills and pedagogy in all aspects of science at KS3, whilst also developing your expertise in your preferred discipline of Biology at KS4 and KS5 depending on your degree and experience.
Science enhanced with Biology
For this you need a good honours degree with a significant proportion of Biology plus the ability to demonstrate an enthusiasm for science and science education. Again a there is a wide selection of degrees which will be considered.
The course is designed to ensure you are confident in all basic national curriculum requirements.
How will I be taught?
Professional and academic learning takes place within University and partnership settings in lectures, seminars, practical workshops and tutorials.
School-based learning will move you from observation through group work to whole class teaching.
How will I be assessed?
- Professional and academic learning is assessed through assignments and directed activities.
- School-based learning is assessed holistically against the Teachers’ Standards.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Faculty of Education and Children's Services