Applicants will normally:
- hold or be expected to gain a minimum 2:1 degree
- have relevant experience in state schools (minimum 10 days) and must have some experience of working with young people
- have GCSE grade C in English Language and Maths
- have to pass the NCTL skills tests in literacy and numeracy
Months of entry
Explore the role of Design and Technology in the classroom, and the potential futures you could inspire through this engaging and practical course.
Teaching is an extremely rewarding and challenging career. Our course is designed to provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills that you need to be an outstanding teacher.
We aim to nurture teachers who are passionate about the development of their own and their pupils' learning.
Why Study Secondary Design and Technology (including School Direct) with QTS with us?
During the course, you will learn how to encourage young people’s understanding of design and technology through your subject specialism.
We encourage reflective practitioners to be:
- enthusiastic and confident in the classroom
- pedagogically skilful and adaptable
- specialists in the teaching of Design Technology
- aware of how young people may learn skills in Design Technology, and applying their skills in a broad range of projects
- able to see their subject in the context of the whole curriculum
- competent in a number of areas that cross secondary school curriculum boundaries
- able to work as part of a team
The course is designed to ensure you are confident in all basic national curriculum requirements.
Core (University-led) Route
This one-year, full-time course, leads to a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE Secondary) from the University of Chester. Successful completion also results in the completion of three M level modules which may be used towards a Master's Degree. All candidates wishing to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) will be required to pass skills tests in numeracy and literacy before you can start the course.
While we may be one of the oldest higher education institutions in the UK, we’re also a modern and innovative institution, with a well-deserved reputation for the quality of our education. The Faculty of Education and Children’s Services has been awarded 'Outstanding' status by Ofsted, credited with delivering "high levels of academic and pastoral care" - Ofsted Report 2016.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Faculty of Education and Children's Services