Applicants will normally:
- hold or be expected to gain a minimum 2:1 degree
- have GCSE grade C/grade 4 or above in English Language and Maths
- have to pass the NCTL skills tests in literacy and numeracy
Apply online at: www.ucas.com/ucas-teacher-training
Months of entry
Share and develop your interest in English through teaching, demonstrating the wide range of transferable skills the study of English can provide.
Teaching is an extremely rewarding and challenging career. Our course is designed to provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills that you need to be an outstanding teacher.
We aim to nurture teachers who are passionate about the development of their own and their pupils' learning.
Why Study Secondary English PGCE with us?
The course intends to produce secondary English teachers who are reflective practitioners, who have a love of the subject, and will be:
- enthusiastic and confident in the classroom
- pedagogically skilful and adaptable
- specialists in the teaching of English
- aware of how young people learn English
- knowledgeable across all areas of English – literature and language
- able to see their subject in the context of the whole curriculum, and understand how the skills of English can transfer across all subjects
- competent in a number of areas that cross secondary school curriculum boundaries, and able to see English in the wider context - contributing to pupils' personal, social, moral, spiritual and cultural development
- able to work effectively as part of a team
- able to critically examine issues raised within the study of the subject
- prepared for teaching English in the 21st Century
The course is designed to ensure you are confident in all basic national curriculum requirements.
How will I be taught?
Professional and academic learning takes place within University and partnership settings in lectures, seminars, practical workshops and tutorials.
School-based learning will move you from observation through group work to whole class teaching.
How will I be assessed?
- Professional and academic learning is assessed through assignments and directed activities.
- School-based learning is assessed holistically against the Teachers’ Standards.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Faculty of Education and Children's Services