An honours degree at 2:2 or higher in a related discipline.
Months of entry
This course offers you professional training in writing and producing commercially viable music for the media industries.The MA provides the requisite specialist compositional techniques, operational understanding of the hybrid studio and its range of technologies, and advanced productional skills which will equip you for a career in any of the major areas of the industry where music is used creatively to accompany the moving image.
- You will focus on the acquisition of specialist compositional and orchestrational techniques, structures and processes across a broad range of historical and contemporary styles and genres.
- You will explore sampling and the programming of convincing hybrid orchestral ‘mock ups’. We also explore advanced productional, mixing and mastering techniques and investigate the complex technologies that allow the contemporary studio to operate.
- This is a training module concerned with the practice of composing commercially viable music for the Film, TV and Games industries.
- You will work collaboratively with postgraduate directors, screenwriters, editors, animators and producers in the department and have the opportunity to contribute to both professional and postgraduate film projects.
- This module prepares you for the critical and analytical aspects of study at Master’s level, and lay the groundwork for further potential study at Doctoral level within the department.
- In this independent, project driven module, you will pursue your own enthusiasms and developing specialisms. This will usually take the form of a portfolio of work, a short film or a substantial written research project.
Information for international students
Learn more at the international page.
Fees and funding
Learn more at the fees and funding page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Stephen Baysted