Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- Normally a first degree, or its equivalent with a minimum of 2:2 honours.
- Three GCSEs at minimum grade C or above to include English language, mathematics and science (including biology, chemistry or physics). All successful applicants must have met this requirement by 31 July 2017.
- Successful completion of the QTS skills test in literacy and numeracy before the start of the course.
- A minimum 10 days experience in a mainstream UK Primary school covering Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 (five days in each Key Stage) gained within the last two years.
- A satisfactory academic (university) reference AND a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study
- The ability to discriminate key ideas and express arguments
- All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain medical and enhanced DBS clearance according to established university procedures
Months of entry
Teaching at primary school can be a challenge, but it can also be an extremely satisfying and rewarding career. It's important that primary teachers are skilful, knowledgeable and caring individuals, which is why our PGCE course will give you the best start to your teaching profession. We'll help you develop as an independent learner, gaining the beliefs, values and self-motivation to be a successful educator when working with young children.
Our popular PGCE courses are highly-rated by both students and external organisations, helping hundreds to advance into careers as primary teachers. Your university lessons will involve studying 2 modules at masters level, taught by highly-committed and effective tutors who will help you achieve new levels in your professional development. You'll learn everything you need to be a confident and knowledgeable teacher, with a wealth of classroom experience to give you the best start to your future.
School Direct Places Available - School Direct is a fantastic way for you to achieve your PGCE with qualified teacher status via one of our School Direct Alliances. Get a head start on joining a school by working as you learn. View current opportunities.
Information for international students
Please see the international page for more details.
Fees and funding
Teacher training bursaries and postgraduate loans are available for all our PGCE courses. See our PGCE student finance page for full details.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
Accredited by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) and the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted) This course can lead to a fulfilling career as a primary teacher, with QTS built-in to enable you to go straight into work. As this is a PGCE, it includes some work at masters level, leading to 40 credits that can count towards an MA in Education.
Course contact details
- Enquiry Centre
- 0333 920 9069