Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- Normally a first degree, or its equivalent with a minimum of 2:2 honours.
- Three GCSEs at minimum grade C/4 or above to include English Language, Mathematics and Science (including Biology, Chemistry or Physics).
- A satisfactory academic (university) reference AND a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study.
- The ability to discriminate key ideas and express arguments.
- All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain medical and enhanced DBS clearance according to established university procedures
Months of entry
Imagine helping children be the very best they can be from the very start of their academic life and ensure they have the essential maths skills needed for everyday life – you can as a primary school teacher with a specialism in mathematics.
We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE General Primary with QTS: Mathematics to support your journey all the way from student through to achieving status as a newly-qualified teacher.
Learn all the knowledge of PGCE General Primary but with a pathway in mathematics, so that you can hone your pedagogy in this area and be a specialist in school able to raise children’s achievements in maths, to get the best out of their learning.
You’ll learn through theory and plenty of first-hand experience, how to work within the National Curriculum framework, focus on the specific concepts in maths, as well as confidently devising and delivering interesting lessons to engage young minds across a broad spectrum of subjects in primary school.
And, because our course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built-in, you can apply for a position as a primary school teacher the minute you graduate.
Your Career with a PGCE Teaching Qualification
This course can lead to a fulfilling career as a primary Maths teacher. Nine out of 10 of our graduates go into a professional teaching career or further education within six months of graduating.
Fees and funding
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries, grants and funds available to support you throughout your studies with us. This includes the Cumbria Bursary - a non-repayable bursary designed to support first year students with a household income of less than £25,000. Visit our PGCE student finance page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
As this is a PGCE, it also includes some work at masters level, leading to 60 credits that can count towards an MA in Education.
Course contact details
- Enquiry Centre
- 0333 920 9635