- A minimum UK 2:2 honours degree or recognised equivalent qualification is required. Your degree must contain evidence of a substantial and appropriate level of subject knowledge.
- If you don't have an undergraduate degree but do have a Masters or other higher qualification, your application will be considered by our academic tutors on a one-to-one basis.
- Practical skills in vocal and/or instrumental music are essential. You also need basic ability as a keyboard player since you will be expected to teach and accompany using this instrument by the time you complete the course.
- GCSE grade C or above in English language and mathematics or recognised equivalent qualifications.
- Successful completion of the QTS skills test in literacy and numeracy..
- A satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) background clearance check prior to starting the course.
- Satisfactory Occupational Health medical check prior to starting the course.
- Evidence of a satisfactory level of literacy on the application form and a satisfactory personal statement.
- Evidence of motivation and appropriate professional values. A strong personal statement conveying an enthusiasm for the subject, for working with young people and for teaching and learning.
- A satisfactory academic (University) or a satisfactory professional reference if it is more than 5 years since academic work.
- Evidence of the potential to work at Masters level.
Months of entry
Whether you're a practicing musician or an aficionado of music, would you love the chance to open up children’s ears to music and inspire a new generation of performers? You can as a secondary school music teacher.
We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE Secondary Education in Music, so that you thoroughly learn the National Curriculum framework and learn to confidently devise and deliver lessons to young people - igniting their interest in music, inspiring them to take music to new levels.
The course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built in and students will apply for a position as a secondary school teacher during the course of their studies and teaching practice.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiry Centre
- 0333 363 7094