Entry requirements for UK students a good honours degree or relevant experience
Months of entry
The Derby LLM offers the ultimate in flexibility. Available to lawyers and non-lawyers alike, it provides unrivalled choice and opportunity – enabling you to choose from specialist pathways and modules to build a degree that matches your career aspirations, research pursuits and personal interests.
We have worked closely with the legal professions, judiciary, prosecution service and police to design our LLM to meet the demands of the 21st century. While developing your knowledge of core aspects of law, you will have unique opportunities to choose the way you learn and the focus of what you learn. Our LLM graduates are sought after by employers precisely because they can demonstrate such a high level of specialisation.
You will investigate topics that other LLM courses do not offer. Our modules are innovative, ranging from Business Crime through to International Commercial Arbitration and Environmental Crime. We also take a contemporary approach to teaching law in a global context.
The course combines academic and theoretical knowledge with hands-on skills. We are one of the few UK universities where you can spend time in a professional organisation applying what you're learning –allowing you to explore areas of personal interest in greater depth than is usually possible at this level of study.
Our experienced, knowledgeable teaching team have a passion for their subjects which is influenced by their research interests. Their professional, supportive approach has helped make us one of the UK's top law schools for student satisfaction and for success at postgraduate level.
If you would like to pursue an academic career, the LLM is an ideal stepping stone as research is at the heart of the programme. From the start, you are encouraged to develop your research, communication and independent learning techniques and we offer guidance if you wish to present your work at conferences or to have it published.
With a choice of full-time or part-time learning, you can study the Derby LLM at a time and pace to suit your other commitments. If you are already employed and looking at professional career development, it is an excellent way to enhance your CPD points.
The course is made up of three stages – Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and LLM.
Postgraduate Certificate in Law
You will study Legal Scholarship, improving your research, communication and independent learning techniques. These will help you throughout your masters degree and will assist you with your personal and professional development.
Postgraduate Diploma in Law
On completing the Postgraduate Certificate stage, you will choose three from over 25 modules to design a degree that suits you or you can choose to follow one of our specialist LLM pathways in:
· Commercial Law – a chance to study commercial law in a practical, international and contemporary context, relevant not only to lawyers but also to those engaged in broader commercial practice.
· Corporate Law and Finance – exploring how law assists in mediating corporate and financial risk and examining the structures, constitution, liquidity and capitalisation of corporate entities.
· Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law – one of the few pathways in the UK developed specifically for the study of legal issues in the digital age and informed by our cutting-edge research into areas such as privacy.
· International Protection of Human Rights and Personal Freedom – taking a uniquely practical approach to the investigation of human rights violations, with field work including trial observations, interviews with victims and analysis of criminal justice documentation.
· International and Comparative Law – giving you critical insights into different systems and schools of legal thought through an in-depth appreciation of modern international law and comparative jurisprudence.
· Transnational Criminal Law – exploring how law-makers face the challenge of criminal gangs operating in networks which extend across many different countries and legal jurisdictions.
· Transnational Oil, Gas and Energy Law – providing the only integrated and complete study of the complex legal relationships that define the sector. This pathway is only available through online learning.
You will take a final Independent Studies module, on which you will develop deep specialist knowledge through scholarship. You will be supported throughout by a member of our law team with expertise in the area you choose to research.