You will normally require an accredited BSc/BEng(Hons) degree. Those without such a degree but with suitable industrial experience, may join the course subject to assessment. As the course is designed to take students directly to CEng status, you must also have significant engineering experience. (Engineers applying for CEng status need to have demonstrated the ability to apply their engineering knowledge within a practical engineering environment.) For those who have an accredited first degree (either BEng or BSc) we require a minimum of two years' relevant industrial or engineering experience. For those without such a degree, we will require a greater amount of industrial experience. You may also be able to incorporate any prior certificated learning at an equivalent level which has not already contributed towards any other award.
Months of entry
- This is a qualification designed to help you gain Chartered Engineering status, that has been developed with the Engineering Council as part of the Engineering Gateways programme. This type of course has already been approved by a number of engineering institutions.
- It is a work-based learning route to the academic qualifications and professional development you need to demonstrate for registration as a Chartered Engineer
- It will allow you to acquire professional competences and gain an MSc award, without the need to take time off work
- The flexibility of the course allows it to be adapted to almost any work situation, industry or location.
- Employable Graduates – we’re ranked 15th highest amongst all UK universities and 12th for English institutions with 96.9% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree.
We’ve developed this course with the Engineering Council as part of the Engineering Gateways programme to help you to gain Chartered Engineer (CEng) status if you are working in the engineering profession.
It is a work based route to the academic qualification and professional development that you need to demonstrate for registration as a CEng. You will be able to acquire professional competencies and an MSc without taking time off work. Because the course is flexible, it can be adapted to almost any work situation, engineering industry, or location.
There are three phases to this course:
Phase one: Entry Gateway
This comprises a professional development audit (PDA) of your education, qualifications, experience, and competencies to date, and a reflective summary.
Phase two: Study Programme (Learning Contract)
This is your individual study programme that matches your PDA against professional body/Engineering Council requirements.
Phase three: Exit Gateway
This consists of either a reflective summary or an engineering project depending on your skills and needs. It also includes a viva voce. Appropriately qualified academic and industrial tutors will work with you and your employer to design a unique programme tailored to your work situation, which takes into account your present level of education and experience.
You will study two compulsory modules: Research Methods: Application and Evaluation, and CPD and Strategic Management. The other modules allow you to negotiate the content of your course so that you can meet the requirements of your professional institution for CEng registration.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- College of Engineering and Technology
- +44 (0)1332 590500