You will need an undergraduate degree (typically 2:1 or higher, 2:2 will be considered) in biology, human biology, biomedical health or a related subject. If you have professional experience in human health, you may also be considered as eligible for this course.
Months of entry
This course starts in September 2019, subject to validation
- develop you into a confident, independent researcher by teaching you essential research skills
- enable you to plan, execute, and evaluate your own biological research
- give you a stand-alone research qualification or bridge the gap between an undergraduate degree and PhD
- allow you to study full-time or part-time to support your other commitments
- provide you with the opportunity to conduct a substantial research project within your field of interest and under expert supervision.
Our MRes Biological Sciences will help you to develop the key skills you will need for a research career, and allow you to put these into practice when you develop and conduct your own research project
We have specialised laboratory facilities available for your research projects. These include a molecular laboratory housing qPCR and DGGE equipment, an imaging suite, human cell culture facility, a dedicated microbiology laboratory, and an analytical suite housing GC/MS, HPLC, AAS, UV-Vis, IC as well as a scanning electron microscope and transmission microscope.
Strong industry connections
We have strong connections with the Royal Derby Hospital and other health care providers.
Experienced teaching team
Our staff expertise covers a diverse range of subjects and we have previously offered research projects in the following areas: human lifestyle and socio-econmic drivers of disease risk, virology, microbiology and cancer research. Research systems at the larger spatial scale includes investigating human lifestyle and socio-economic drivers of disease risk.
Fees and funding
Please see our website for the latest information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Heidi Sowter
- 01332 591749