Application is through the Graduate Teacher Training Register (GTTR). You will need to demonstrate through the GTTR form and at interview that you: are an effective reader and are able to communicate clearly and accurately in Standard English, both spoken and written possess the appropriate personal and intellectual qualities to be a teacher have achieved a standard equivalent to Grade C in the GCSE examinations in English and Mathematics hold a first degree in an appropriate subject from a United Kingdom Higher Education Institution or an equivalent qualification.
Months of entry
The PGCE Secondary Science programme is designed to meet the Standards required for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and to develop secondary teachers with a specialism in Biology.
It aims to do this in the context of our Secondary Partnership schools many of which are situated in east London where skills of educating children in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual urban environment are paramount.
Overall the programme aims to produce effective teachers who are able to operate as reflective practitioners. To fit this description you should:
- develop your knowledge, skills and understanding of what it means to be a professional in school
- engage in practical and theoretical enquiry as a key element in your development as teachers. Whereby you are expected to:
- be able to critically review, using a range of research and scholastic skills, a systematic and coherent body of knowledge related to education and subject pedagogy
- be able to evaluate critically new information, concepts and evidence from a range of sources
- be able to exercise appropriate judgment, by applying appropriate diagnostic and creative skills, in a range of situations
- be able to accept accountability for determining and achieving personal and/or group outcomes by reflecting on and taking responsibility for your own professional development
- develop your ability to read and write critically at Masters level
Fees and funding
Full programme fees: £9000 for UK / Eu students
Home and EU ITT students may also be eligible for a bursary from the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL).
The bursary level and award is dependent on the subject in which a trainee wishes to teach and the outcome of their most relevant qualification, not the subject of their academic qualification.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Applicant Enquiries
- +44 (0) 208 223 3333
- +44 (0) 208 223 2978