A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in graphic design or a relevant subject.
You must submit a portfolio as part of your application. Your portfolio should show your creativity and particularly your ideas: focus on the thinking behind your work rather than technique and show development as well as finished pieces. You should include a short description of the idea and context of the work you are presenting.
Your portfolio should:
- display a high standard of conceptual awareness and development
- reflect a clear ability to think laterally
- clearly present your research methods and routes, and show the development of ideas
- include evidence of your working process, from project inception to resolution, demonstrating experiments and explorations
- demonstrate original and professionally resolved work
- include high-quality images of completed work across appropriate and varied platforms
Months of entry
This programme’s curriculum is student-led with an emphasis on independent learning. With tutorial guidance, you will negotiate and develop a programme of study based on personal areas of research and practice, beside set projects particularly in the first 2 semesters to support and inform your line of enquiry. You will initially focus on the research and development of a study proposal.
With support from our team of experienced tutors (all industry practitioners or researchers) you will be encouraged to expand on your preconceived ideas and let your findings dictate future development. We expect you to engage in sophisticated design dialogue to push your ideas to their full potential. There will be a lot of debate and prototyping before any designs are taken into production.
The written component of the programme helps amplify and contextualise your understanding of process and this wider awareness of design feeds back into your practice-based work. You will produce written contextual assignments alongside studio-based work.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Edinburgh College of Art Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)131 651 4086