MScR: A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
PhD: A UK 2:1 honours degree and a masters degree, or their international equivalents, in a related subject. We may also consider your application if you have equivalent qualifications or experience.
Months of entry
The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) confirmed our continuing role as a leading programme for research and study of Islam, the Middle East, and other related subjects. Over 70% of research activity in Area Studies (IMES and Asian Studies) was classified as world-leading and internationally excellent.
We offer expert supervision for postgraduate studies in Islam, the Middle East and related subjects. You will be studying in an environment that produces world-leading work, with staff who are conducting research of international significance.
A broad spectrum of research areas is available to you as a postgraduate student. Areas include:
- cinema and media studies of the Middle East
- comparative historical studies of Islam and Europe
- cultural studies of the modern Middle East
- diaspora studies
- Islamic history
- Islamic philosophy
- modern and classical Arabic literature
- modern and classical Persian literature
- modern Middle Eastern history
- Persian, Arabic and Turkish languages
- politics of the modern Middle East
- translation studies
We also offer opportunities for interdisciplinary study across the University.
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details
- Graduate School Administrator
- +44 (0) 131 650 4114