Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Normally a UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in animation or film.
You must submit a portfolio as part of your application. Your portfolio should:
- contain at least one completed animated film
- show evidence of observational drawing (drawing from life)
- show evidence of sequential drawing (storyboards, comic strips etc)
- show evidence of production design (character and environment designs, shot layouts etc)
- show evidence of production planning (shooting schedules, production schedules)
- demonstrate a broad range of animation method and technique
- demonstrate confidence and competence with a range of software
- Your personal statement should detail a proposed film project to be completed as part of your studies.
If you do not meet the academic entry requirements, we may still consider your application on the basis of your portfolio and/or relevant professional experience.
Months of entry
Animation is a fantastically diverse medium, and its possibilities are expanding continually. Animators are dealing with new platforms for delivery, new technologies for production and new audiences as the theories and contexts of animation are being developed and understood.
Animation has become an integral element of most feature production through VFX pipelines, documentary production through the use of data visualisation and improved compositing techniques, and a vital part of any interactive production.
In order to address the wide range of potential interests within the discipline of animation, our courses are non-prescriptive in terms of methodology and output and take advantage of extensive classical and digital technical resources.
A large part of your research work on the course will relate to both your chosen way of working and how to position yourself in the wider milieu of animation. You will develop an awareness of how to affect dynamic transformation and movement, whether it’s upon a product, an environment, a data set or a film narrative. You will be required to be resourceful, critical, and above all independent.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time21 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)131 650 4086