A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in any subject. We will also take any professional experience into account.
Check whether your international qualifications meet our general entry requirements:
English language requirements
All applicants must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of their English language ability:
- an undergraduate or masters degree, that was taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration
- UKVI list of majority English speaking countries
- IELTS Academic: total 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT: total 100 (at least 20 in each module)
- PTE(A): total 67 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections; the "Enabling Skills" sections are not considered)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
Degrees taught and assessed in English must be no more than two and a half years old at the beginning of your degree programme. Language tests must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree programme.
Find out more about our language requirements:
Months of entry
For those with a passion for tackling climate change and who require the flexibility of online learning
Based upon our highly successful on-campus MSc Carbon Management, this online programme utilises a blend of interactive content, videos, virtual case studies and online discussions to explore the science and business responses to climate change.
We examine the leading ways in which the global climate change challenge can be addressed, covering adaptation and mitigation solutions across a wide range of sectors and regions. The programme is designed for those with a passion for tackling climate change and who require the flexibility that online learning provides.
This programme is delivered as flexible part-time study using our online virtual learning environment. You will learn from academics working at the leading edge of carbon management and climate change.
The lectures are all delivered online through our virtual learning environment. The lectures are delivered as a series of short video segments, animated slides and accompanying reading resources and links.
Each week students and staff also meet online to discuss issues, questions and ideas with the group.
As a student of one of our online learning programmes, you will:
- have the flexibility to study when most convenient for you
- be able to study from anywhere with an internet connection
- have access to all University services and relevant academics
- become part of a rich and varied online community of people in your field
- learn the latest developments from people working at the leading edge in your field
- study for an internationally-recognised Postgraduate Certificate
This programme takes one year to complete (September to July), with one course per semester.
The programme comprises three compulsory courses that move from the science of climate change and its impacts, through the key adaptation and mitigation solutions, to examination of the business response to climate change, and the risks and opportunities it represents.
The compulsory core courses typically are*:
- Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Climate Change and Corporate Responsibility
*Please note courses are subject to change
With this Postgraduate Certificate you can choose to:
- study it as a standalone qualification
- combine it with our Postgraduate Certificate in Carbon Innovation to form a Postgraduate Diploma in Carbon Management
- study it as one third of our MSc Carbon Management
The interdisciplinary nature of the programme provides a detailed understanding of the economics of climate change and a broad and integrated understanding of carbon footprinting, ecosystem valuation, energy systems and energy policy. The main programme aims are:
- Integration of innovations in economics and engineering with the science of climate change impacts, adaptation and mitigation, to provide graduates with a holistic understanding of climate change management.
- Development of conceptual and analytical skills, to enable critical evaluation of the projected impact of climate change on the economy and society.
- Assessment of the solutions - at international, national and local level - that have been devised to address the impacts of climate change, either through technological change, policy, market mechanisms or regulation.
- Provision of high-level study and expertise in carbon innovation to graduates anywhere in the world.
Our existing MSc Carbon Management boasts excellent relationships with relevant employers, as well as a great alumni network covering more than 25 nations and providing unrivalled opportunities to link up on research projects and find new positions in the field of carbon management.
The main employment sectors for our graduates are those of climate change consultancy, renewable energy and carbon management project development, and government and NGO climate change advisors. Several of our graduates are also now studying for climate change-focused PhDs.
Information for international students
To find out about the support offered to international students at Edinburgh from arrival to graduation visit website.
Fees and funding
See Scholarships and Student Funding Services for other funding opportunities:
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
- flexible12 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Programme Secretary
- +44 (0) 131 650 4866