A UK masters degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
We may also consider your application if you have equivalent qualifications or experience; please contact a supervisor to check before you apply.
All applicants must also meet our English language requirements.
Months of entry
Thanks to its rich artistic heritage – which includes the world-famous Edinburgh International Festival and Edinburgh Festival Fringe – Edinburgh is one of the most inspiring places in the world to study theatre. This vibrant theatrical culture has attracted researchers and practitioners from all over the world, many of whom you will find on our academic staff.
Our breadth of expertise means you will have access to supervisors who are active researchers in British, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Scandinavian theatre studies, as well as drama and performance theory. Many are theatre practitioners, as well as experts in the culture and language of their respective areas of interest.
Due to the far-reaching interests of our academic staff, your scope for research is extremely broad, and includes:
- 17th-century French theatre
- 19th- and 20th-century Italian literature
- 20th-century German theatre and cultural politics, particularly in the Weimar Republic and the GDR
- contemporary French cinema
- contemporary French fiction
- digital philology
- early modern Spanish culture
- electronic publishing
- English Renaissance Theatre and theories of performance and performativity
- film aesthetics and film philosophy
- gender and performance
- gender history
- Greek and Persian political and sociocultural history
- Greek poetry
- literary theory
- medieval literature
- Modernism and performance
- reception studies and popular culture
- Russian modernist and postmodernist film, theatre and literature
- Scandinavian literature
- word and image
Information for international students
To find out about the support offered to international students at Edinburgh from arrival to graduation visit: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international
Fees and funding
Visit Scholarships and Student Funding Services at: http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Graduate School Administrator
- +44 (0) 131 650 4114