All applicants must meet our general entry and language requirements.
Months of entry
Linguistics and English Language at Edinburgh is the pre-eminent department for the study of both Linguistics and English Language in the UK, having ranked top in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise.
We can offer expert supervision across a wide range of topics. Potential applicants should look through the department's webpages to see the range of research that is conducted in LEL and that we can supervise. A sample of the areas covered is listed below:
- Developmental linguistics, including first and second language acquisition.
- Discourse Analysis.
- Historical English Linguistics, including the syntax, morphology, and phonology from the earliest periods to the present day.
- Language evolution. The study of the evolution of language was pioneered at Edinburgh.
- Morphology, including word formation, in particular of English and the Germanic languages.
- Phonetics and phonology, including diachronic phonology and the phonology of varieties of English and their history.
- Speech technology.
- Syntax and semantics, including theoretical syntax, descriptive syntax of English, diachronic syntax and both lexical and formal semantics.
- Varieties of English, including British varieties and international varieties of English.
Fees and funding
Visit Scholarships and Student Funding Services at http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-funding/postgraduate
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 131 651 5002