A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent, and a UK masters degree with an overall mark of 65% or its international equivalent.
All applicants must also meet our English language requirements.
Months of entry
Sociology at Edinburgh is one of the premier research units in the UK, as indicated by our excellent rating in the latest Research Assessment Exercise.
We have a long-standing commitment to original empirical and theoretical work on society, and to the production of cultural and scientific knowledge.
We work closely with other colleagues in the School and supervise many cross-disciplinary projects. Applications are particularly welcome from students wishing to specialise in:
- refugee and migration studies
- auto/biography and narrative studies
- comparative sociology
- South Asian studies
- Southern Africa
- family and intimate relations
- innovation in genomics
- medical sociology
- political sociology
- nationalism studies
- constitutional change and governance
- social studies of finance and markets
- social, cultural and feminist theory
- gender, inequality and social stratification
- work, consumption and organisations
- Scottish society and politics
- science and technology studies
- sociology of emotions
Urban and Rural Sociology; Family and Intimate Relations; Youth; Gender; Inequality and Stratification; Work and Organisations; Scottish Society and Politics; Political Sociology; Race Relations
Information for international students
To find out about the support offered to international students at Edinburgh from arrival to graduation visit our website
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Team
- +44 (0)131 651 3917